IMPORTANTE AVISO LEGAL: - IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: (por favor leia / please read)

Israel Kamakawiwo´Ole

Moderador: DIGI

procosta
Membro VIP
Registado: 12 mai 2006, 09:31

Israel Kamakawiwo´Ole

Mensagem por procosta »

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole - Facing Future (2006)

To gauge the magnitude of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's popularity in his native Hawaii, consider this: following his death in 1997 (at age 38, attributed to his profound obesity), Kamakawiwo'ole's body lay in state in the state capitol, only the second person to receive such an honor.
Kamakawiwo'ole's appeal lies in his love for prestatehood, precondominium Hawaii and the expressiveness of his gently passionate voice, which can float through higher registers with an ease that brings Johnny Mathis to mind. Several selections ("Ka Pua U'i," "White Sandy Beach of Hawai'i," the sun-kissed "La 'Elima") feature Kamakawiwo'ole in a traditional mood, using only his ukulele to adorn the charm of his native lyricism.
Others, such as the Jimmy Buffett-like "Maui Hawaiian Sup'pa Man" add playful contemporary touches that suit Kamakawiwo'ole's style.
Most touching are the string-backed laments that open and close the album, "Hawai'i '78 Introduction" and "Hawai'i '78," initially a reflection on his father's death, later on the passing of Hawaii's native culture. Best known is his medley "Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World," which played over the closing credits of the film Meet Joe Black.

01 - Hawai'i '78 Introduction
02 - Ka Huila Wai
03 - 'Ama'ama
04 - Panini Pua Kea
05 - Take Me Home Country Road
06 - Kuhio Bay
07 - Ka Pua U'i.
08 - White Sandy Beach of Hawai'i
09 - Henehene Kou 'Aka
10 - La 'Elima
11 - Pili Me Ka'u Manu
12 - Maui Hawaiian Sup'pa Man.